Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hemoglobin

Hemoglobin is quite fascinating.
It gives the red blood cells it's color, and it also carries the oxygen. Also, if you don't have enough, your body has a hard time making iron.
That's pretty much it in a nut shell.
So when our hemoglobin goes down too low, we get tired from the iron deficiency, and we can become winded because of the oxygen.
Two summers ago I noticed I was often out of breath. Blamed it on the extra pounds I carry.
Soon I couldn't walk an incline, and speak at the same time.
I was out of breath if I carried the laundry basket upstairs.
Earlier this year I received iron infusions, which immediately brought my iron up from 9 to 184. The iron also helped make new red blood cells after 3 to 5 weeks. Went from 9 to 14. (range 12 to 16)
Last week, I went to the eye doctor with my son.
I recalled last years' visit, and being so short of breath that I had to rest at the top of the stairs until I could speak. I now wonder how on earth I could have thought that this scenario was normal.
Funny how our health can deteriorate slowly, and we tend to accept the changes, without asking why.
No one knows our bodies better than ourselves. Ask questions. Get answers.
Let that be a lesson to all of us.