Sunday, February 01, 2015

Roast beef au Jus



Loverboy has been talking about Roast beef au Jus for 2 years now.
We had some at the Bellagio that was outstanding.

So in my trusty cookbook, I followed the directions exactly.
I never made the Yorkshire pudding that usually would accompany the meal.

Preheat your oven to 325.
Place a roast ( sirloin preferred) in a shallow roasting pan.
I weighed it first so I could determine the cooking time.
Mix 2 tsp dry mustard with 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce. ( easier spelled that pronounced)
Rub the sides and top of the roast with it.
Season it with garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Cook it 35 minutes per pound for well done.
25 to 30 minutes per pound for medium.
20 to 25 per pound for rare.

So my roast was small, weighed 2.25 pounds, and I cooked it for 79 minutes.
Once it was done, I covered it, and let it rest for twenty minutes.
They suggest you warm up the dish that you will be placing the jus in,
so I warmed my dish by placing it on top the potato pot that was boiling on the stove.

Just before the twenty resting minutes were up, I stirred around the juices in the bottom, and poured the juices into a measuring cup.

I added beef broth ( half the amount of the juices). I had 2/3 of a cup of juices, and added 1/3 cup broth. I brought it to a  boil and reduced it a bit. I seasoned it with salt and pepper.

It was all very good.

I don't really like gravy, or jus, and if I really wanted it, I would be tempted to thicken it.
But jus is simply pan drippings... so he got what he wanted.