Here are the 10 steps to growing potatoes in a container:
- Poke or drill several holes in the bottom of the garbage can.
- Place your container in a spot that will get a lot of sun throughout the day.
- Fill the bottom of the container with about 3 inches of soil.
- Place 4 – 5 whole seed potatoes into the soil, making sure they’re evenly spaced.
- Make sure the potatoes are completely covered by about two inches of soil.
- Water the potatoes thoroughly.
- Once the plants have grown to 7-8 inches in height, pour more soil into the container. The soil level should be about three inches from the top of the plants.
- Water the plants as needed. (Everyday, unless the rain gets them good)
- Each time the plants reach 7-8 inches above the soil level, pour more soil into the container, maintaining the soil at three inches from the top of the plants.
- At the end of the season, dump out the contents of your container and dig all around the soil to get your potatoes.
I am going to try this. Wish me luck !