Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Let it Be and Mother Mary

The McCartney family

"When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me...."

Yes, and Mother Mary is not the virgin Mother Mary we read about in the bible.

Sir Paul McCartney's mum, Mary, was a midwife on call day or night and one of Sir Paul’s earliest memories is of watching his mother cycling to work at three in the morning when the streets were “thick with snow”. He has also confided how Call The Midwife, the BBC’s Fifties-set drama, reminds him of his mother. One of the most difficult aspects of her death, he has confided, was the reaction of his father who simply fell apart with grief. 

“That was the worst thing for me, hearing my dad cry.  
Sir Paul has also spoken movingly of how his mother inspired the song Let It Be. 

He once explained: “One night, somewhere between deep sleep and insomnia, I had the most comforting dream about my mother. There was her face, completely clear, particularly her eyes, and she said to me very gently, very reassuringly: ‘Let it be.’ It was lovely. I woke up with a great feeling. It was really like she had visited me at this very difficult point  and gave me this message: Be gentle, just try to go with the flow and it will all work out.

“So being a musician I went  to the piano and started writing a song: ‘When I find myself in times of trouble, Mother Mary comes to me, speaking words of wisdom, let it be.’”